Thursday, January 29, 2015

Finding Strength in Impossible Situations

In this weeks parsha, Bishalach, Hashem had the Jewish people turn around and backtrack. They found themselves stuck between the raging sea and the nearing Egyptian war machine. They turned to Moshe and he turned to Hashem in prayer. Hashem said to Moshe "Why do you cry out to Me? Speak to the children of Israel and let them journey forth."

What lessons can we take from this? How does this connect with Yud Shvat?

We have been in exile for two thousand years. Our ultimate purpose is to transform this world into a place where Hashem's presence can dwell openly. That will happen with the coming of Moshiach.

The Rebbe, the Moshe of our time, gave us clear marching orders. Bring Moshiach now! In other words, it is in our ability to bring Moshiach.

Sometimes it feels like we are in an impossible situation, the whole world seems to be against us and we are backed against a raging tide.

At times like these, we need to realize that it is Hashem Who turned us around and put us into this situation. He wants us there. There is a purpose that can only be realized through this difficult situation.

Will we complain? Will we cry out to Hashem? Of course. Then we must lift our heads and forge ahead obstacles not withstanding. When we do that Hashem splits seas for us.

For the past three years I have been in a difficult predicament which seems to only get worse. Do I pray? Do I cry out to Hashem that He heal me? Yes, all the time. However, the illness has not broken my spirit because I know that Hashem put me here and that He wants me here. I don't like it, but I continue to do what I can to bring Moshiach, through my difficulties and even more, using my difficulties as a platform to lift others up.

Yud Shvat is all about solidifying our connection with our Moshe, the Rebbe, and to commit ourselves to the mission he laid out for us. Specifically to use our strengths, talents and situation to accomplish the mission.

You can do it, don't be afraid, Hashem is with you.
___

This is written in memory of Rabbi Ariel Rav-Noy.

9 comments:

  1. Yitzy, I read your posts, but have never commented. Ariel's passing yesterday shook me up. Your message here inspired me. I need to take gulos more personally because it is personally offensive. It's not just about a grand redemption, which is of course important, it's about breaking free in a literal way and living in a more gdly way. Thank you, may we see nisim gluyim now mamosh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You motivate us even more now, knowing the effort and love it takes to provide us your weekly message. Your spirit is stronger than ever. Thank you for the inspiration and meaningful commentaries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are incredibly inspiring such emunah you have May HaShem give you a complete refuah shelimah!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words. May Hashem hear your prayers. What an amazing effort to use your kochos to bring Moshaich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rabbi Hurwitz,
    I would like you to know that I personally draw much strength from you. I think of you and your family as you struggle with this illness that Hashem has thrust upon you in your prime. Many of us, including myself, find ourselves not living the lives we desire. We fail to appreciate our good health, and the fact that we have loved ones around us but drown in disappointment over dreams deferred or financial difficulties, which are completely external challenges, or relationship challenges within our marriages. WIshing you much strength in dealing with your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowowow HaRav Yitzi. Your faith, trust and commitment to the Aibishter is a marvel, and is truly inspiring. Chazak chazak, go from your current gvura to ever greater strenghths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the inspiring words. They really help me see things as I should.

    ReplyDelete